University Medical Center’s Post Graduate Year 1 (PGY1) pharmacy practice residency helps residents develop the necessary clinical pharmacy skills to help patients in their care. By offering pharmacy residents diverse experiences in a variety of disciplines, our program helps them gain a comprehensive view of pharmaceutical care.
The PGY1 Pharmacy Residency at University Medical Center provides 12 months of training in all aspects of advanced pharmacy practice.
- Acute patient care
- Ambulatory and emergency patient care
- Drug facts and information
- Development of drug policy
- Management skills
The program is tailored to the unique needs of each resident and offers flexibility.
Goals of our program
Pharmacy Residency Program | Teaching Hospital in New Orleans
Residents who participate in our residency programs are equipped with the specific skills and competencies needed to take on positions of leadership within the profession following their PGY1 program.
Some occupations available following completion of a PGY1 program include:
- Pharmacy specialists
- Clinical faculty
- Continuing on in training in a PGY2 program
Once a resident has completed the PGY1 residency, they will be able to provide pharmaceutical care in a variety of environments.
Additionally, graduates of the residency program will be qualified to:
- Provide excellent pharmaceutical care to patients throughout multiple practices
- Work with healthcare teams
- Communicate, clarify, and educate patients and other staff
- Become a leader within the pharmaceutical profession
- Pursue advanced specialty training
- Work toward certification by the Board of Pharmaceutical Services (BPS)